In the Loop Editor
GHS Theatre Department
Imagine, create, act, and discover - Mrs. Julie Duke's theatre class at Grenada High School encourages students to embrace all of these activities and more, both in class and onstage in order to bring out their potential as artists. Participation in theatre requires discipline, pride, and respect for others. It also provides many opportunities for students to experience growth as performers, technicians, and lifelong learners. Theatre offers an outlet for many of Grenada High's most creative students to express themselves in a healthy, productive setting.
Although the theatre class at GHS has been in existence for many years, the 2018-2019 school year brings the increased challenge of producing a fall play and a spring musical. The fall play wrapped up tryouts, which were open to all GHS high school students, just last week and named the cast for "Just Another High School Play, "by Bryan Starchman.
Starchman, a drama teacher and former high school drama student, wrote the play as a farewell gift to his former drama coach who retired during Starchman's first year as a drama instructor. The play, a comedy about a group of high school actors who have been abandoned by their drama teacher on opening night, was inspired, according to Starchman, by nightmares he experienced about opening nights of plays for which he and his students were woefully unprepared. He stated that he wanted to share his entire experience in high school theatre (both as a student and now as a director) and allow the audience in on all the little backstage jokes about melodramas, the fears and apprehensions all actors have to face, as well as the real "drama" in drama that is always going on within the cast and crew.
"Just Another High School Play" .rehearses every Tuesday and Thursday night during September, October, and the first week of November. A public performance of the play is scheduled for November 8, 2018. The play will also be performed for students at GHS on that same day. The Grenada High School Theatre Company strives to produce professional-quality productions, however, this has created a financial challenge for the department. Many supplies are needed to produce plays, from props and programs to sound equipment and set materials to costumes and stage make-up.
The theatre department invites any interested community members or local businesses to consider making a donation or becoming a sponsor of the new theatre company. Donations will be applied 100% towards the expenses incurred in the production of plays. Those purchasing sponsorships will receive several benefits based on the level of participation. Available benefits include in-program recognition, advertisements in programs, tickets to the Spring & Fall shows, and live recognition on-stage at performances. If you have any questions about donations or sponsorships, or would like to discuss additional ways to lend support to the Grenada High School Theatre Company, please contact Julie Duke at email@example.com or 662-574-8101.
Cast members for "Just Another High School Play" are:
• Stage Manager – Sadie Roberts
• Assistant Director – Zion Lee
• Announcer – Carson Lollar
• Narrator for Romeo and Juliet – Jadyn McMechan
• Beth, Juliet – Blake Sides
• Plant 1, Female Lead, Carrie – Rylee Murphy
• Meg, Puppeteer – Kylie Laird
• Stagehand, Noel – Madison Schenk
• Extra in melodrama, Teena – Laynee Goss
• Ghost, Plant 3 – Anna Sibley
• Amy, Female Thespian – Jenna Coker
• Emily, Grad Student – Johniah Freelon
• Narrator for History of Theatre – Amelia Ferguson
• Jo, Romeo (puppet) – Makani Harbin
• Hamlet, Tiny Tim, Craig – Angel Beck
• Plant 2, Barkeep – Cinaiya Brown
• Male Beth, Marlowe, Tom – Nicholas Johnson
• Male Meg, Scrooge – Demetrius Harbin
• Male Jo, Male Thespian, George – Jakameon Perry
• Male Amy, Male Lead, Logan – Joshua Lott
• William Shakespeare, extra – Colton Gray