In the Loop Editor
First Nine Weeks Tests 2016
They say that the years go by faster as you get older. That statement must also correlate with the number of years a teacher has taught – the more you have; the faster it goes! It sure does seem like school just started, yet here we are at the end of the first nine weeks.
As amazing and incomprehensible as this may seem, students in the Grenada School District will take their first nine weeks' exams this week. Students enrolled in state tested subject area classes will complete the District Common Assessment (DCA) for their particular subject area. These DCA's are given to students in grades K-12. District Common Assessments assess the knowledge of the student on the specific subject area. They are very similar to the state tests students must pass in order to move to the next grade or to graduate, and they help prepare students for the actual state test. Scores from DCA's give educators an insight into each student's comprehension of that particular area. Students with scores below average receive remediation and/or extra tutoring to increase their level of achievement.
During exam week, each school sets its own daily testing schedule. Students and faculty at Grenada High School began the week with two days of review. Actual exams are scheduled to begin on Wednesday. District Common Assessments will be given in Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Pre-Biology, Biology, English I and II, and U.S. History. The GHS exam schedule is:
• Wednesday, October 5, 2016 – First and seventh period exams
• Thursday, October 6, 2016 – Second, fourth, and sixth periods
• Friday, October 7, 2016 – Third and fifth periods
Grenada Middle School's exam schedule:
• Tuesday, October 4, 2016 – English DCA (8:30a.m. – 10:30a.m.)
• Wednesday, October 5, 2016 – Math DCA (8:30a.m.-10:30a.m.)
• Thursday, October 6, 2016 – Science (8th grade will complete a DCA)
• Friday, October 7, 2016 – Social Studies, Tech Foundations, STEM
At Grenada Elementary School, kindergarten through third grade District Common Assessments will be administered in Math and English Language Arts. The DCA schedule is:
• Tuesday-Wednesday, October 4-5, 2016 – Math
• Thursday-Friday, October 6-7, 2016 – English Language Arts.
Assistant Principal Dawn Walls stated, "Exams take place each day from 8:00a.m. – 10:00a.m. It is very important for students to be present and on time during testing".
Grenada Upper Elementary School will conduct DCA's in Science, Language Arts, and Math. Testing dates are:
• Wednesday, October 5, 2016 – Science DCA (8:00a.m.- 10:00a.m.)
• Thursday, October 6, 2016 – Language Arts DCA (8:00a.m.- 10:00a.m.)
• Friday, October 7, 2016 – Math DCA (8:00a.m.- 10:00a.m.)
District Common Assessments and exams play an important part in determining the comprehension level of each student. Scores from these exams help teachers and administrators form lesson plans that will benefit and enrich each student. Make sure students undergoing exams get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast each day. These two actions help students stay alert and focused during testing.
Attendance is key; making up exams is hard for everyone involved. Re-testing disrupts students' regular class time and puts students at a disadvantage. Regular attendance at school is important every day but is extremely important during exam time.
On Monday, October 10, 2016, GSD students will enjoy Fall Break. Students will be dismissed from classes for the day and will return to regular schedule on Tuesday, October 11, 2016. Report cards will be issued October 17, 2016.